Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Household Mold Infections

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Household Mold Infections

  • Posted: Dec 04, 2015
  • By:
  • Comments: 0

When it comes to household mold, there’s no messing around. Families want to stay educated about the risks that mold poses to their homes and the safety of their families. Here, we’ve compiled a list of questions that we frequently see being asked about household mold and safety.


Is all mold harmful?

The short answer: no. Mold actually is used in drugs and cheese making, which are both essential for human existence (if you’re French, anyway). However, when mold colonizes your home, even mold that is generally harmless can have adverse effects on your family. Many people have an allergic response when exposed to mold, and the symptoms of this allergic response are similar to any allergic response.

While an allergic response is inconvenient, truly harmful molds in homes are not uncommon and can have much graver effects.

How do I get rid of mold?

There are a plethora of home remedies on the internet that you can find to get rid of mold. One method that is often tried is bleaching the mold. It seems promising because of bleach’s effectiveness in killing bacteria. Mold, however, is a different story. When mold reproduces, it releases hundreds of spores into the air. In addition, mold is only visible to the human eye when it is part of a large colony. Therefore, it’s nearly impossible to bleach every area covered by mold.

Furthermore, bleach actually has no effect on the life and death of mold. All it does is remove the stains caused by mold. The only sure way to get rid of the mold in your home is to call a reliable company that has the necessary equipment and experience to deal with your mold situation in its entirety.

How can mold affect me?

Mold exposure symptoms actually have a range that varies incredibly. Check out our previous blog on mold exposure symptoms for the full story.

Can mold affect people with asthma?

There have been more than a few studies done on this. Earlier studies agreed that exposure to mold can certainly make asthma symptoms worse, but can mold actually cause asthma? The answer is — tentatively — yes. Asthma is both genetic and environmental, and studies found that those who have a genetic predisposition to asthma are much more likely to contract it after they have been exposed to mold.

What can I do to prevent mold growth in my home?

Mold thrives on moisture. This is the main component, and it is by far the most important. Make sure none of the pipes in your home are leaking and do your best to make your home impervious to flood damage. If moisture is not infiltrating your home, mold is not likely to grow. In addition, buying a dehumidifier or two will go a long way if you live in a humid area, or even if the humidity in your area spikes every once in awhile.

The key to keeping mold out of your home: low moisture, and not much more.

How did mold get in my home?

This relates a bit to the last question. Mold spores are in the air almost everywhere we go. They’re small, they’re hard to see, and they’re usually in such low concentrations that they’re rendered essentially harmless. However, when your home has moisture that persists for more than a day, these mold spores begin to colonize the moist area — and this is when your home begins to have a mold problem.

How will I know if there is mold in my home?

The most obvious way to know if there is mold in your home is if the mold is visible. If visible mold has colonized your home, it will present itself in the form of small dots that can be multiple colors, usually on your walls, ceiling, or other areas with high moisture content. Other times, mold can be invisible, and this is when it’s much harder to tell if you have a mold problem. If your family is frequently sick or has unexplained symptoms, it might be a good idea to get a mold check. If you recently had a flood or water damage problem, this is another good time to get a mold check just to be sure that nothing has colonized the moist areas. Invisible mold is comparable to a black hole. We can’t see it, but we can look for the signs around it that mean it is there.


We hope you’ve learned a bit about household mold through these frequently asked questions. Remember, call us as soon as possible for an inspection if you have any reason to believe that mold has colonized your home. This is dangerous, and it is essential that we take care of the problem right away.