Mold growth in winter months is one of the worst times for homeowners. In order for mold to grow, it needs moisture, warmth, and food. Without even knowing it, mold spores can lie dormant, waiting for the perfect opportunity to grow and thrive in an environment.
At Mold Inspection Illinois, we try to prevent mold growth from ever being a problem. With our help, you can rest assured knowing that your home is free from mold growth in winter. This is especially important in areas like Illinois, where temperatures drop well below freezing.
While you may think that because mold needs warmth in order to grow, you’ll be perfectly safe during the cold winter months. Actually, since your house is one of the only warm places around, this attracts mold growth even more. You need to be careful about surfaces that are closest to the outside.
This includes walls, windows, and ceilings in particular. Because of things like snow, moisture is more prone to travel in the air and go into your basement, vents, and even condense on your windows. This can be extremely problematic when dealing with mold growth in winter.
For starters, make sure that your walls are well insulated. Having great insulation not only prevents the cold air from infiltrating your home, it also keeps the condensation and mold from growing inside.
Here are some other helpful tips for mold growth in winter
- Keep your indoor humidity levels low. This will prevent moisture from starting to form inside of your house.
- Vacuum and cleaning regularly helps remove mold spores that may linger inside your carpets and rugs.
- Check underneath sinks for any leaky faucets. This can cause mold to start spreading throughout the home.
- Consider purchasing a dehumidifier for your basement.
- Make sure to use exhaust fans in the bathroom during showers and baths.
Tags: chicago mold removal, illinois mold, mold growth, mold growth in winter, mold spores, winter