Why to Never Use Bleach on Mold

Why to Never Use Bleach on Mold

  • Posted: Jan 11, 2016
  • By:
  • Comments: 0

There are lots of DIY websites out there telling you grab the bleach the second you find mold, but they couldn’t be more wrong. In fact, using bleach can make matters even worse. Here’s everything you need to know about bleach and mold removal.

There’s no doubt that bleach is a powerful substance and is quite effective at cleaning and disinfecting a number of things. Mold, however, is not one of them.

Bleach does remove surface mold, leaving it looking clean and new. The problem is that mold is stubborn and strong, with roots in the area it infests. This means that although the surface appears to be mold-free, there is still mold lingering beneath.

On top of this, even if the bleach does successfully kill the mold, if the mold is still present (which it will be if you use bleach), it is still dangerous. Dead mold can cause illness and trigger allergies just like living mold. So you’re really no better off.

In fact, if you do use bleach to remove your mold, you may end up worse off. After homeowners use bleach to kill mold, they assume the problem is fixed and they go about their business. In reality, their mold is just in hiding, still wreaking havoc.

Plus, the reprieve of the owner believing there is no mold gives the mold a chance to infest your home further, because you’re not looking for it or expecting it.

At Mold Inspection Illinois, we recommend hiring an IICRC certified professional to clean up your mold for you. They have years of experience and training that make them significantly more effective at your ridding your home of mold than a bucket of bleach.

Their cleanup and remediation techniques go beyond simply scrubbing at the surface mold. They have cutting edge technology and tools at their disposal in addition to top notch training. So please, don’t try to remove the mold with bleach. Instead, contact Mold Inspection Illinois for a free inspection.

Bleach is just one of the reasons you shouldn’t try removing the mold yourself. For more information and what to do (and not to do) when you find mold, visit our Dos and Don’ts page. Homeowners make countless mistakes when it comes to mold removal and they are easily avoided if you simply get a mold inspection and have your mold professionally remediated.

In short, don’t underestimate your mold. It can grow and thrive in nearly any environment and it will take a lot more than bleach to get rid of it. If you think you have mold in your home, schedule an inspection right away.

Tags: , , , , , , ,